I am a gardening enthusiast, and among the most useful weapons in my garden arsenal is my garden hose. I use it to water my garden, irrigate the landscape, and for various other tasks in and around my home like washing my car and even giving my furry companion a bath.
With proper care and maintenance, you can make your hose last for many years. Part of my hose care routine is making sure to roll it properly after use. This way, you prevent kinks that can cause premature wearing. Rolling up the hose properly takes only a few minutes, but the benefits are great.
Read on for tips on how to roll up a hose properly by hand without reel to avoid kinks, as well as tips on ensuring a neat coil, and enjoying a leak-free watering experience.
When coiling a hose, straighten the entire hose length to get rid of kinks and tangles before rolling it up. To make sure the hose is well-drained, you can put the hose's far end somewhere downhill to allow water inside to flow out. Never store a hose without first removing the kinks to avoid possible damage.
How to Roll Up a Garden Hose By Hand Properly Without Kinks – Without Reel
Here’s a detailed guide on properly coiling a hose without a reel before storage to prevent kinks and tangles. As mentioned, is it strongly discouraged to store a hose without removing the twists and kinks first.
What You’ll Need
Basically, all you need to manually roll a hose without a reel is the hose itself and something to secure the coil with.
- Garden hose
- Bungee cord or rope
Following is an easy step by step guide that you can follow to ensure a kink-free coil:
Step 1 - Free up the hose.
Disconnect the hose from the spigot or water source before rolling up. Likewise, remove all attachments that can get in the way of the coiling process.
Step 2 - Make sure the hose is empty.
Never store a hose with water inside as it may cause unnecessary health hazards. Allow the remaining water inside the hose to flow out completely. Elevate one end of the hose to facilitate draining.
Step 3 - Prepare to roll up the hose.
Lay one end of the hose on the ground, and form a 2-foot-wide circle. Begin at the end of the hose with the female connector – the end into which another connector is inserted, especially if a nozzle is attached to the male connector.
Step 4 - Continue rolling the hose.
Continue to place the hose in a circle on the ground. To avoid kinks, let the hose roll while you coil the line on the ground.
Step 5 - Complete the rolling process.
Complete coiling the hose, making sure there are no twists or kinks. Wrap a bungee cord or rope cord around the coil, and hook or tie it in place to secure it.
Check out this video that we found online that you may find helpful.
Tips to Roll Up a Hose
Following are some useful tips to keep in mind that will help make sure you have a perfectly coiled hose for storage, ready for a kink- and leak-free use anytime.
- Never store a kinked hose as this may result to permanent kinks. To remove the kinks, straighten the hose before rolling. You can elevate one end to drain as you roll the hose up.
- Before attaching the hose, check if the female end washers are fully seated. Replace them if they're worn out. Make sure that the connections are aligned and tight to avoid cross-threading. If you need to frequently connect and disconnect the hose, add quick-connect fittings to make connecting and disconnecting easier.
- When not in use, disconnect the hose from the water source. Open the hose valves or remove the attachments to release the pressure, and make it easier to coil the hose for storage.
- Roll the hose in a single direction. Use a hose reel, if it is available, to make coiling easier. Roll in a bigger diameter if you find it hard to achieve a tidy roll with a small diameter. This will help the hose keep its shape.
- Never store a hose without first completely draining it as the water inside may cause the hose to burst when exposed to the sun. And during winter, detach and drain the hose before storing it in a frost-free place.
While using a hose reel makes rolling and storing a kink-free water hose easier, you can still achieve a perfect and neat roll if a hose reel is not available. Just follow the steps to manually roll a hose, as well as the tips provided in this post to enjoy a leak- and kink-free watering experience each time.
Please leave a comment below if you found this article useful, or to provide your own tips.